Endovenous Laser Therapy
Our primary goal at Illinois Vein Specialists (IVS) is to accurately diagnose and as painlessly as possible to provide lasting relief and better quality of life to our patients suffering from venous and lymphatic diseases.
It’s for this reason, Dr. Perlmutter and the IVS medical team, who are thoroughly trained in Venous and Lymphatic Medicine, utilize procedures like Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT).
Endovenous Laser Treatment is a MINIMALLY INVASIVE treatment that reduces Chronic Venous Hypertension and the negative health effects of varicose veins in the legs.
Advantages of EVLT
- Only takes 1 hour to perform (an average. of 20-30 minutes per leg)
- Requires just 1 small incision
- Resume normal activities immediately
- MOST INSURANCE including Medicare cover EVLT procedures*
How does EVLT work?
Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT) is a procedure for indwelling varicose veins to relieve the high pressure by using heat to force the vein to close down instantly. There are hundreds of veins in the legs and, upon completion of the EVLT, the blood flow is directed through other veins significantly reducing the high pressure and, as a bonus, some patients feel better the second they stand up after the procedure! EVLT procedures only take an hour to conduct, are performed right in the office, and there is no downtime post-procedure!
PROCEDURE IN DETAIL
The first stage of your procedure will involve using an anesthetic to numb the skin and then inserting a thin catheter through a small incision to help feed the laser fiber up the affected vein. Ultrasound guidance is used during the procedure to position the catheter and fiber in the correct location. Additional anesthetic is used to inject fluid around the vein which serves to numb and protect the surrounding tissues. The laser catheter is then slowly pulled back while delivering energy to the vein wall, causing it to heat, collapse and seal shut. After the procedure, a Steri-Strip™ will be placed at the micro-incision site, the injection sites will be covered with gauze, and you will be placed in a compression stocking.
Is EVLT safe?
EVLT is safe and highly effective in the treatment and management of varicose veins and eliminates Venous Hypertension in just one office visit. This treatment does not require any downtime for most patients and provides immediate relief from symptoms with no scarring.
What to know before your Procedure:
1. There is not much to do to prepare for EVLT. You may eat and drink normally. The only prep is to take Naprosyn the morning of your procedure. You will then take it twice a day, breakfast and dinner, for about 3-4 days post-procedure. You will be given a prescription at your initial consultation. Be sure to get it filled a few days before the procedure.
2. Be sure to inform your doctor if you are currently taking any blood thinners or other medications that may affect blood clotting. You do not need to stop taking any medications before the procedure.
3. Most insurance companies cover medically necessary varicose vein laser treatments like EVLT particularly if you have shown that you’ve tried conservative management (i.e. diet, exercise, use of compression stockings). IVS’s office staff will work with you prior to any procedure to gain pre-authorization from your insurance company.